TB-L Archives

April 2010

From:
"Koeddermann, Achim ([log in to unmask])" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:50:14 -0400
Dear Jim,

in the sense of the article, you have created, and helped keep alive,  an "idea market" in the the teaching breakfasts, as they ahve a cloud of users particiapte electronically, but a core discussion in person, early mornings are good for that.

Where I think we failed: we have no discussion among the faculty for example of the issue of grade inflation, and what it means - it moved to the experts (Steve and others), but this can not be an "ersatz" as we need to form a forum for collective consciousness. This is not the fault of the TB, but a default of our senate, where such faculty ideas cannot be discussed (why not?). Thank's to you, they are brought to the table.

Alas, the article points to one of my weaknesses - social media - and that the new universe has moved to them - but only advertisers seem to stive in it. How much do we need to play in this game?

Good to have the breakfasts, and let's not replace the one medium with the other, but combine - face to face discussions should follow on the internet exchanges,

Achim