TB-L Archives

November 2002

From:
John Kotz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 21:03:14 -0500
Hello all - I was struck by Joanne's email re students and textbooks.
I just returned from the University of Colorado where I spoke to the
Chemistry Department and to a high school chemistry teachers group.
The title of my talk was "Is the Textbook Dead?"  I have collected
fairly extensive data using a survey instrument developed at UMass
that indicates, fairly strongly, that students do not highly value
books as the primary vehicle for learning. This was supported by
anecdotal comments by faculty of the Chemistry Department at Boulder.
(As a textbook author I find it personally distressing.) Re Dick
Staley's work -- I find in my surveys that students value our online
homework system about equally with books, and that lectures lead
their list of effective ways to learn. I am not prepared to concede
the battle to have students use books as the primary source of
information but do believe that we should develop alternatives
learning materials. I would be happy to share my data with folks in
the TB.

Since several people seem to be interested in this subject, maybe we
should put it off for another date.

Jack

--
John C. Kotz
University Distinguished Teaching Professor