TB-L Archives

November 2002

From:
"Ebert, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:17:15 -0500
Breakfasters,

        First, I want to offer a large "thank you" to all those that
attended this morning's discussion. It was an excellent exchange and I
came away with some useful ideas and strategies.

        Whether we are discussing reading, lecture, assignments or
whatever, the consensus seemed to be that students learn when they are
actively engaged. Obviously, this takes work on the student's part, but
it also requires work on our part to set the stage for that active
engagement. As a sort of summary comment, I'd like to share one of my
favorite quotations:

        "Learning is not attained by chance. It must be sought for with
ardor and attended to with diligence." - Abigail Adams

        Many thanks!

Jim

Dr. James R. Ebert
Earth Sciences Department