TB-L Archives

January 2003

From:
"Terry L. Helser" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:15:05 -0500
   Do you put students into groups or teams?
Yes. I try for 3-4/team, especially in labs, but in class too.
        How? (Self select, etc.)
At first, it is by who can meet with a commuter who has limited hours on
campus. Later, after  the first test gives me an idea of abilities, I
shuffle teams for diversity and ensure the leaches are in different
teams. I haven't tried putting all of them on one team, because that
hasn't been pretty when it happened by accident.
        Does it work?
I can't say it increases learning or test scores, but the atmosphere and
engagement definitely improve. I won't go back for....
        Do the(y) assess each others work?
To a small extent. Oral reports by teams are graded by the other teams,
and I average those with my own (mostly).
What are issues with this?
Many (most?) want to be loved and "nice" so they make no effort to be
critical; some just want to be vindictive (rare). I don't really want to
spend our time teaching these skills.
        Pros/Cons on this from your perspective.
Great learning tool, teaches life skills necessary for career success,
etc. etc.; cons - time consuming, have to play Freud on occasion,
therapist, lower SPIs common
        How do you deal with those that go along for the ride or don't
carry their share?
I try to help the leaders deal with it, more or less successfully. I
offer them the option of "firing" the offender, but I've never had that
happen. They just deal with it, after all, that's life. Grades always
fit the situation in the end, so I don't obsess much about it.