TB-L Archives

April 2003

From:
"<Rick Jagels>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:54:51 -0400
I'm finding that even with the bulk of the language issue removed, a
multicultural classroom offers some unique opportunities for the
teacher.  I came across a notion of Broad context and Narrow context
learning that questions some basic assumptions that I've always made.
Some other reading I've done presents the possibility that our cherished
Socratic method my not be as useful in teaching a culture that may see
that as "confronting" (respect for authority).  Other cultures may value
consensus as a more worthy goal than "winning".  A woman's traditional
place in another culture certainly affects her behavior in a class.
Some schools are experimenting with learning communities, where subjects
are clustered to one degree or another-for higher context learners this
has been very successful. I think the culture/language/learning style
discussion is worth a lot of attention-and it's probably fairly timely
too!

  The following is from the University of Wisconsin at Madison web site,
(http://www.news.wisc.edu/view.html?get=5188).

"Despite 30 years of diversity programs and affirmative action, a
disturbing gap persists between the academic achievements of minority
and majority students on all educational levels.
Robert A. Ibarra, assistant vice chancellor for academic affairs, says
differences in thinking strategies that members of various ethnic groups
typically employ may be fueling achievement-score disparities.

"The problem is with the educational system, not the people in it," he
says. "There's a pronounced discrepancy between the way our educational
system assumes people think, and the ways in which many African
Americans, American Indians, Asian Americans and Latinos actually do
think. Educational institutions are not set up to handle the
differences."

Ibarra makes this case in his forthcoming book, "Beyond Affirmative
Action: Reframing the Context of Higher Education" (University of
Wisconsin Press, February 2001). Drawing upon 15 years of research into
the culture of higher education, he has formulated a completely new take
on diversity issues. Ibarra promises his conclusions have the potential
to revolutionize not only higher education but K-12 instruction and the
corporate world. "Most looked to the German research model of higher
education, which relies upon linear, analytical, step-by-step thinking;
intellectual specialization in undergraduate majors; and knowledge
easily measured through standardized exams and exercises," among other
characteristics, he says.

Anthropologists call this style of information processing "low-context"
culture. In contrast, many minority members, women and some majority
males prefer a "high-context" approach to studying, teaching and
working. For example, high-context learning is people- rather than
idea-oriented. It relies heavily on interaction between students, their
families and teachers. Consequently, high-context learners may be
unprepared for the social isolation that often accompanies structured
learning, with its emphasis on individual rather than group
comprehension, Ibarra says.

"High-context students usually can come to terms with the low-context
system, but their academic achievements often fall below their
potential. Learning to function within a low-context system is like
learning to write with your right hand if you're left-handed: It's never
entirely comfortable or natural. Minorities often have to be
academically ambidextrous in order to function successfully in an
educational setting," he says.

Ibarra uses the term "multicontextual" to describe the way minorities
negotiate the mainstream classroom or workplace. "It's not
'multiculturalism,' which exposes people to bits and pieces of each
others' cultures," he says. "We need to go beyond those tentative
explorations. A truly multicontextual system would accommodate both
high- and low-context styles into the fabric of our academic culture."

And that will present quite a challenge, Ibarra concedes. In addition to
preferring interactive learning situations, high-context people may be
more comfortable working concepts out in their minds rather than on
paper or at a computer screen. High-context thinkers also value accuracy
and thorough understanding, even at the expense of the deadlines that
low-context systems prize.

The prevailing low-context pedagogical norm is a fine model of education
in many respects, Ibarra notes. "We certainly shouldn't abandon it
altogether. However, we do need to expand it to include the intellectual
style of high-context students and faculty," he says. Toward that end,
he suggests educators consider:

Using real-life problems to give high-context students, faculty and
staff the hands-on experience that often helps them learn and teach more
effectively. Ibarra says service learning, in which students offer their
time and talents in the community, is a particularly useful way to flesh
out the abstract theory presented in lectures.

Offering opportunities for the general-to-specific deductive reasoning
that high-context people often favor, rather than relying exclusively on
inductive reasoning, which moves from the specific to the general.

Making greater use of nonverbal communication - facial expression,
gestures, eye contact - to impart information.

Providing opportunities for interactive study and collaborative research
for those who want them. At UW-Madison, for example, Wisconsin Emerging
Scholars each year helps about 150 students, especially minority, women
or people from rural areas, navigate the demanding mathematical terrain
of calculus. Participants work in small groups to solve problems.
University data consistently show higher grade points on average for WES
students than for those who learn calculus the traditional way.
Similarly, UW-Madison's 2-year-old PEOPLE program, which offers
pre-college enrichment for middle- and high-school students in
Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha, Beloit and Madison, goes to great lengths to
involve entire communities in acquainting families with the benefits of
a college degree from UW-Madison. Faculty and staff on campus can take
advantage of the Creating a Collaborative Academic Environment office to
explore cross-disciplinary learning, teaching and research
possibilities.
John Wiley, UW-Madison provost, agrees with Ibarra that education needs
to go beyond affirmative action. "When affirmative action was first
implemented in the early 1960s, its goal was to remove barriers that had
limited or barred access to higher education. The continuing focus on
these goals, however, has hidden the fact that the culture of higher
education can present its own barriers to participation. This book is a
breakthrough because it shows for the first time why and how cultural
context helps or impedes a person's success within the system."

In the end, educational success is determined by both the individual's
ability to function in a culture and that culture's willingness to
provide opportunities for all, Ibarra says.

"My first career was as a drummer, and at that time, drum kits usually
were set up for right-handed people," Ibarra says. "It wasn't until the
last decade or so drums have been set up for ambidextrous playing, and
now drummers using that setup can coax more complex and interesting
rhythms out of the instrument.

"I think education needs to do develop its own ambidextrous system so we
can look more fully at life in all its dimensions," he says.

Ibarra has just finished outlining his findings at one of the
prestigious Gordon Research Conferences on new frontiers in science and
technology policy. Later this fall he will discuss his ideas for
diversity before conferences in the Washington, D.C., area, and in
Albuquerque, N.M., and San Francisco.

"This country faces a profound demographic change, with the potential
for many more high-context people in the educational system," he says.
"So far we have not yet been able to come to grips with that. We need to
understand what the real barriers to education are and come up with
creative new ways to address them."