TB-L Archives

September 2003

Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:29:34 -0400
Neat idea!

Mike

	-----Original Message-----

	From: Greenberg, James ([log in to unmask])

	Sent: Mon 9/22/2003 1:33 PM

	To: [log in to unmask]

	Subject: RETHINKING CRITICAL THINKING - VALUES AND ATTITUDES

	I have often heard it said that one of our missions here at SUNY Oneonta is

	to get students to think critically. As a topic for discussion at our next

	Teaching Breakfast I would like to know what tips and techniques you think

	work toward this goal.

	Below is a recent posting about this to get your brains working on the

	topic.  Please join us on Oct. 2 at 8AM for the next Teaching Breakfast

	where we will discuss this important topic.

	Jim Greenberg

	                      RETHINKING CRITICAL THINKING - VALUES AND ATTITUDES

	by Richard A. Lynch

	Posted here with permission...

	"What is the mark of a liberally educated person?" Many of the

	answers to this question converge upon a common theme: critical

	thinking.  One 1981 study, for example, notes that "Critical thinking

	is perhaps the most general term for the intellectual abilities that

	are supposed to be characteristic of the liberally educated person."

	The problem, however, is that-like the term "liberal education"

	itself-"critical thinking" is understood to mean a wide variety of

	more or less closely related things.  Winter, McClelland and Stewart,

	analyzing the different senses of the term in higher education

	literature, identify seven distinct qualities that are characterized

	as "critical thinking" (including "differentiation and discrimination

	within a broad range of particular phenomena" and "articulation and

	communication of abstract concepts"), that cluster around what they

	describe as "the skill of advanced concept formation" (pp. 12, 27).

	Another (undated, but post-1995) study employs a "mimimalist" concept

	of critical thinking:  "The critical thinking tradition seeks ways of

	understanding the mind and then training the intellect so that such

	'errors', 'blunders', and 'distortions' of thought are minimized.Š

	[T]hose who think critically characteristically strive, for such

	intellectual ends as clarity, precision, accuracy, relevance, depth,

	breadth, and logicalness."

	Something is lost when "critical thinking"-which we so often claim is

	one of the most important things students should learn-becomes

	reduced to these kinds of cognitive, often more precisely logical,

	functions.  (Most university courses on "critical thinking," for

	example, are typically courses in informal logic.)  This is

	unfortunate because, despite this tendency to reduce critical

	thinking to such a least common denominator, the term remains-and the

	activity is-both rich and provocative.  Critical thinking is, to put

	it bluntly, much more than the ability to recognize a fallacy when

	you see one.  But the hard part is to move beyond this and spell out

	what that "something more" is.  I want to suggest two important

	aspects of a fuller understanding of critical thinking, which may

	inform how we approach our teaching:  Good critical thinking is not

	value-neutral, nor is it merely instrumental; it is intimately

	connected with both values and attitudes.

	How is critical thinking connected with values?  In at least two

	ways.  First of all, critical thinking presupposes values at the

	heart of its activity.  How can one make a good judgment or

	assessment of virtually any of the problems and dilemmas that call

	for critical thinking, without an evaluative basis for that decision?

	But by itself, that is not enough:  good critical thinking does not

	just accept a set of values "uncritically."  So the second important

	way in which critical thinking is connected to values-without which,

	the first connection becomes a sham-is in challenging and

	reevaluating the very values that it takes as its basis for judgment.

	One important component of critical thinking, then, is some

	understanding of one's starting points-who one is, what one believes,

	and why.  Critical thinking is thus both reflective and

	evaluative-and raises the possibility that both the critical thinker

	and her milieu will be challenged, unsettled, and perhaps changed.

	This reflexive-and potentially disruptive-feature reveals how

	critical thinking is intimately connected with attitudes.  For

	Immanuel Kant, "Enlightenment," or "emergence from a self-incurred

	immaturity," meant the willingness to think for oneself, to think

	critically.   This willingness is an attitude that opens things up to

	challenge.  Perhaps most fundamentally, good critical thinking

	entails what we might describe as an attitude of "reflective openness

	and challenge."  What I mean here is a willingness to genuinely

	consider new perspectives-to try to understand them from the

	inside-and, at least for a little while, to step outside of one's own

	views and acknowledge that one's perspectives, assumptions, and

	outlook are vulnerable, perhaps even mistaken or incomplete.  A

	critical thinker is willing to turn that criticism upon both these

	new approaches and herself, and sometimes even to change what she's

	doing or what she believes in light of these critical insights.  This

	core attitude may in fact be what makes critical thinking

	"critical"-without it, critical thinking becomes a hollow shell, a

	mere analytic tool applied to externally determined ends.

	Warren Nord offers a compelling redefinition of critical thinking,

	that moves it, I think, closer to these deepening relationships with

	values and attitudes:  " Critical thinking is not just a matter of

	applying the rules of logic (much less scientific method).  It is a

	matter of thinking and feeling empathetically with others, of

	engaging one's imagination, of having access to a wealth of facts

	about the possible effects of alternative actions, of discerning

	patterns of meaning in experience, of looking at the world from

	different perspectives."   Scientific method and logical reasoning

	can be good examples of critical thinking, and are important aspects

	of it, but are not adequate in themselves-both can be done in rote,

	unreflective ways, ways that aren't really open.  For students to

	develop as critical thinkers, they must be willing to reflect upon

	and articulate their own starting beliefs and assumptions (whether

	these are scientific, moral, cultural, etc.), genuinely open

	themselves to other approaches or worldviews, to new ways of

	understanding what they took for granted, and then carefully consider

	the consequences of this reflection.

	Critical thinking, then, is not a merely logical exercise, but is a

	practice richly imbued with a set of values and attitudes.  Nord

	notes that, "Of course, all of this makes critical moral thinking

	difficult and controversial."  It also underscores the need to begin

	rethinking, and deepening, the ways in which we teach "critical

	thinking."  We should not be content to teach logical reasoning

	skills but must also work to encourage self-reflective, challenging,

	yet open attitudes on the part of our students.  Helping students to

	develop these attitudes ought not be the province of "critical

	thinking" courses, but should be an aim of just about any course in

	the undergraduate curriculum.  "Teaching attitudes" like this must

	not be confused with "indoctrination."  For we will not be telling

	our students that they must subscribe to any particular outcome or

	belief; rather we will help them to develop a full set of tools for

	drawing their own conclusions, for what Kant called "Enlightenment."

	The task may be difficult and controversial, but in a diverse and

	complex society, it seems essential.

	(1)  D. Winter, D. McClelland, and A. Stewart, A New Case for the

	Liberal Arts (Jossey-Bass, 1981), p. 27

	(2) R. Paul, L. Elder, T. Bartell, " Study of 38 Public Universities

	and 28 Private Universities To Determine Faculty   Emphasis on

	Critical Thinking In Instruction: Executive Summary"

	http://www.criticalthinking.org/schoolstudy.htm

	(3) I. Kant, "What is Enlightenment?" (1784)

	(4) W. Nord, Religion & American Education (University of North

	Carolina Press, 1995), p. 346.