TB-L Archives

March 2004

From:
Jim Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:39:22 -0500
This is a reminder that the Teaching Breakfast will meet again Wednesday,
March 10 at 8 am in the Café at Morris Hall.  The topic:

        Searching for the Right Key: Unlocking the Doors to Motivation

I recently came across this article that is related to this topic that has a
few tips on creating a classroom culture to inspire students.  It is posted
below.  Hope to see you at the Café on the 10th.

Creating a Classroom Culture that Inspires Student Learning
By Sara E. Quay ([log in to unmask]) and Russell J. Quaglia
([log in to unmask]) Endicott College, MA

Higher education seems reluctant to admit that classroom culture plays a
critical role in student satisfaction, retention, and learning. Yet students
tell us that if they do not feel comfortable in a particular class, or with
a particular professor, they are less likely to attend or participate in the
course, less willing to seek out extra help, and less apt to rise to
intellectual challenges.  As college and university faculty, we must begin
to think about the classroom conditions that we can intentionally foster,
conditions that will increase student engagement in the learning process.

Research has identified a number of conditions that help increase students¹
motivation to set and meet learning goals. These conditions cost nothing,
require no additional degrees, make a significant difference in the teaching
and learning, and best of all, they can be cultivated in our classrooms.
Consider this set of three.

Create a sense of belonging in your classroom. The more your students feel
that they are part of the classroom community, the more likely they are to
become connected to the course, the subject, and even the school. At the
same time, it is critical to recognize your students as individuals who have
their own skills, talents, and interests. Question to Consider: What
percentage of my students do I know by name?

Recognize that your students look up to and admire their professors. Like it
or not, you are a hero to your students. Your position makes you a role
model. What you say to them -- either positive or negative -- has an impact.
Take your role seriously. Question to consider: What do I model for my
students?

Recognize your students¹ accomplishments, not just their grades. Today¹s
students have grown up in a world of high- stakes testing, and they place
enormous significance on the grades that they achieve. Yet so much learning
results from the effort students put into the learning process and in the
advances they make, no matter how small, in understanding, knowledge, and
skill over the course of the semester. Take time to acknowledge and
celebrate the growth not measured by grades but by perseverance. Question to
Consider: Do I talk with students about growth and learning as often as I
talk about grades?

***** END POST *******