TB-L Archives

April 2004

From:
Jim Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 08:25:48 -0400
TBers,

I know a number of faculty on this Teaching Breakfast list are interested in
Distance Learning and the growth of it in SUNY.  Posted below is a recent
announcement from Chancellor King and Provost Salins concerning expansion of
support for the SUNY Learning Network. The CourseSpace product mentioned
below is similar to Blackboard and one whose development I continue to watch
closely.

Jim Greenberg

************

Friends of SUNY Learning Environments,

I am pleased to announce that the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor and Chief
Financial Officer David Richter, and the Vice-Chancellor and Provost Peter
Salins have approved eight new positions for Learning Environments. These
positions will help us to achieve our goals in serving the growing number of
faculty, students and campuses that will be using CourseSpace and SLN,
quickly developing the technology supporting those missions, reaching new
constituencies for SUNY online learning, and developing new academic
programs online. This unprecedented slate of positions is a sign of the
trust in and importance placed on e-learning and academic technology in
general at System Administration.

They include

   Director of Outreach and Communication
   Director, Learning Environments Technology
   Assistant Director, CourseSpace
   Lead Programmer Analyst
   Multimedia Instructional Designers (2)
   Help Desk Analysts (2)

Details about these positions can be found at http://le.suny.edu

Please disseminate these postings or the link to them as widely as you see
fit to qualified friends, associates and colleagues. Print ads will be
appearing in the Sunday New York Times Education Section and in the
Chronicle of Higher Education, as well as some websites such as Educause. If
you have suggestions for other venues, please let me know.

David Porush, Executive Director
SUNY Learning Environments