TB-L Archives

April 2004

From:
Patrice Macaluso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:41:43 -0400
Jim G and colleagues:

        i was intrigued by the topic of getting non-talkers to talk in class.
After years of having the same 10% of the class doing 90% of the
responding, I tried something very simple this semester that is working
very well. When analyzing plays for costume design, I set up the room
so that the 20 or so students are in a circle with me. I then start at
one point and make each student offer a new observation or opinion
about the play or character under discussion, or elaborate further on
an idea that has already offered. I probe each comment further with
that person, and occasionally toss it to someone else for comment to
keep them on their toes or let someone who's got something to add be
heard. We sometimes go around twice or three times if the topic is
complex enough. We do this for every character in the play, and then
for the plot and themes of the play itself.

        This has provided many unexpected advantages:

One, every student knows in advance that she will have to talk, and
must formulate an opinion. No one gets to pass, so they'd better think
of something.

Two, I give each person plenty of time to say her piece without
interruption, and I conduct a dialogue with the shy or reluctant
students to draw more explication out of them. They seem to welcome
this process, and many now seem more comfortable with speaking without
being prodded.

Three, as the easier observations are broached, the remaining students
have to think of something else to say. They may have thought the topic
was exhausted, but it isn't over until I say it's over, and as I probe
further we find that they come up with some very surprising
observations and new ideas to explore.

Four, students don't seem to zone out of the conversation. The ones
that haven't spoken yet have to pay attention to know what's been
already said, and the ones that have spoken already are aware that at
any moment the topic will be tossed to them for comment if they seem to
not be paying attention. Whatever the reason, I find that all of the
students are paying attention for longer and longer periods of time,
and that they are listening and thinking in advance in order to have a
variety of possible things to say when it is their turn.

Five, there is no way to hide the fact that you haven't read the
material. The knowledge that everyone will be staring at you and you
alone while the teacher asks you questions seems to make them nervous
enough to actually read the assignments. If they haven't read the play,
some try to bluff, but I keep asking questions until it is painfully
apparent that they haven't done the assignment. I keep at them a little
longer until it is distinctly uncomfortable for them, and then I move
on. This mild humiliation seems to spur the slackers to read the
assignment to avoid that public unpleasantness the next time around.

        This approach may seem obvious or 'old hat' to many of you, but it was
certainly a surprise to me when I tried it out!  It seems to offer
students both structure and freedom of expression, and I find I'm
talking about 20% of the time rather than 80%. Every student gets heard
for an equal amount of time, and topics get explored to a depth that
seemed impossible before.

        Try it out- you may like it!

        Patrice Macaluso