TB-L Archives

August 2004

From:
Jim Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 07:46:42 -0400
This issue has be discussed so many times in past TBs.

Reprinted with permission.

        JUSTICE OR JUST US? WHAT TO DO ABOUT CHEATING
May 2004
By Jason Stephens

Earlier this year, local papers were full of horrified reports of cheating
in an affluent Silicon Valley high school. Stories like this are a regular
occurrence. Last year cheating at the University of Virginia made headlines,
and before that, it was the military academies.

Adults always seem shocked and surprised to learn of cheating, especially in
high-achieving and high-socioeconomic settings. They shouldn't be so
surprised. Research on cheating has shown over and over that most students
do cheat, at least some of the time. Research in high schools shows that two
thirds of students cheat on tests, and 90 percent cheat on homework. The
figures are almost as high among college students. Furthermore, it is clear
that rates of cheating have gone up over the past three decades.

Why? Do students fail to understand that cheating is wrong? Well, yes and
no. In a recent study of high school students that I conducted, many
students acknowledged that cheating is wrong but admitted they do it anyway,
seemingly without much remorse. Jane, a tenth-grade honors student, is
typical of these students:

Like people have morals, they don't always go by them. ... So I mean, even
if you get that test and you're like, "Oh yeah, I cheated on this test," it
doesn't lessen that grade. It says an A on the paper and you don't go, "Oh,
but I cheated." You're just kind of like, "Hey, I got that A." So it doesn't
really matter necessarily, if it has to do with your morals or anything, you
just kind of do it.

Like Jane, other students in the study said that they cheat for simple,
pragmatic reasons-to get high grades and because they don't have time to do
the work carefully. Especially for college-bound students, the pressure for
grades is real. According to the Higher Education Research Institute's
annual survey, 47 percent of incoming college freshmen in 2003 reported
having earned an A average in high school. As Jane put it:

It's not always necessary (to cheat). I guess if you already have straight
A's, then why cheat? But yet, we still seem to do it. It's kind of like
insurance, like you feel better, you feel safer, if you do it. ... Then I
will have that 95 instead of like the 90, because that's almost like a B or
something.

But despite the pressure for consistently high grades, students don't
generally cheat in all of their classes. And somewhat surprisingly, it is
not the difficulty of the course that predicts in which classes they are
more likely to cheat. Instead, I found that high school students cheat more
when they see the teacher as less fair and caring and when their motivation
in the course is more focused on grades and less on learning and
understanding. At least in these classes, they can justify cheating. They
don't claim it is morally acceptable, but they don't seem to feel that it
really matters if they cheat under these circumstances.

In most studies of cheating, the researcher decides which behaviors
constitute cheating, and students are only asked to report how often they
engage in those behaviors. In my survey of high school students, I asked
them to report both their level of engagement in a set of 12 "academic
behaviors," as well as their beliefs concerning whether or not those
behaviors were "cheating." Not surprisingly, the vast majority (85 percent
or more) indicated that behaviors such as "copying from another student
during a test" and "using banned crib notes or cheat sheets during a test"
were cheating. However, only 18 percent believed that "working on an
assignment with other students when the teacher asked for individual work"
was cheating. Subsequent interviews with a small sub-sample of these
students revealed that students regarded this forbidden collaboration as
furthering their knowledge and understanding, and therefore saw it as an act
of learning rather than a form of cheating. These!
  findings suggest that students make a distinction between behaviors that
are overtly dishonest (such as copying the work of another, which
effectively serves to misrepresent one's state of knowledge) and behaviors
that are not inherently dishonest (such as working with others, which can
serve to enrich one's interpersonal skills and academic learning).
Educators, too, should be cognizant of this distinction and be judicious in
prohibiting collaboration.

With this pervasiveness of acceptance by students, is it acceptable to us as
a society to tacitly accept cheating as a fact of life and not be so shocked
when it comes to light? I don't think so. Cutting corners and compromising
principles are habit-forming. They don't stop at graduation, as we have seen
in recent scandals in business and journalism. And cheating or cutting
corners in one's professional or personal life can cause real damage-both to
oneself and to others. We need to care about it.

And I believe we can do something about it. The best ways to reduce cheating
are all about good teaching. In fact, if efforts to deal with cheating don't
emerge from efforts to educate, they won't work-at least not when vigilance
is reduced. These suggestions are easier said than done, but I believe they
point in the right direction, both for academic integrity and for learning
more generally.

    * Help students understand the value of what they're being asked to
learn by creating learning experiences that connect with their interests and
have real-world relevance.
    * Consider whether some of the rules that are frequently broken are
arbitrary or unnecessarily constraining. For example, is individual effort
on homework always so important? Given the evidence that collaboration in
doing homework supports learning, it doesn't seem so.
    * As much as possible, connect assessment integrally with learning.
Create assessments that are fair and meaningful representations of what
students should have learned. Make sure assessments provide informative
feedback and thus contribute to improved performance. When possible,
individualize evaluations of students' progress and offer them privately.
Avoid practices that invite social comparisons of performance.
    * Give students images of people who don't cut corners: scientists who
discover things they don't expect because they approach their work with an
impeccable respect for truth and a genuinely open mind; business people who
exemplify integrity even when it seems like it might cost them something.
But don't preach. Take seriously the fact that, in some contexts, being
consistently honest can be hard.

Finally, as educators, we must do our best to exemplify intellectual
integrity ourselves-in everything from how we treat students and each other
to how we approach the subject matter, to how we approach mandatory high
stakes testing to how we think and talk about politics. We need to look for
ways to make deep and searching honesty both palpable and attractive.

About the Author

Jason M. Stephens has been a research assistant at The Carnegie Foundation
for the Advancement of Teaching since 1998, where he has worked on the
Political Engagement Project and the Project on Higher Education and the
Development of Moral and Civic Responsibility. He will receive his Ph.D. in
educational psychology from Stanford University this June and join the
faculty in the Department of Educational Psychology at the University of
Connecticut in August 2004.

Carnegie Perspectives is a series of commentaries that explore different
ways to think about educational issues. These pieces are presented with the
hope that they contribute to the conversation. We invite your response at

Join the Carnegie Perspectives email list by sending an email to
[log in to unmask] with "Subscribe" as the subject
line.