TB-L Archives

September 2004

From:
Jim Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:08:00 -0400
The following is a copy of a letter sent by Dan Larkin to the College
faculty back on Sept. 10, 2004

President Donovan and I are pleased to invite you to participate in
Oneonta¹s first annual ³Celebration of Teaching² to be held on November 9,
2004, from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. in the Morris Conference Center.  The focus of
this year¹s ³Celebration² is on engaging students.

            The College¹s commitment to excellence in all that we do is
vital to achieving our long-term goals.  A great deal of Oneonta¹s success
in attracting, retaining, and graduating better prepared students has been
the expectation that Oneonta¹s well recognized and excellent programs also
have a commitment to excellence in teaching and learning.  By highlighting
and sharing faculty experiences in teaching and by addressing issues that
are important to effective teaching and learning, we can continue to be
successful.

            The schedule for the November 9th ³Celebration of Teaching:
Engaging Students² appears below.  Those who would like to  share a poster
presentation with other members of the College Community are encouraged to
do so. It is our intention to prepare a brief publication of the
proceedings. If you are interested in presenting a poster, please submit
your name, the subject and title of your poster before Friday, Oct. 1, to
the Office of the Provost, Netzer 340.

               For more information, contact Carolyn Haessig at
[log in to unmask] or Cindy Lassonde at  [log in to unmask]

            I look forward to seeing you at the first annual ³Celebration of
Teaching²event.

F. Daniel Larkin, Provost

Celebration of Teaching: Engaging Students
 November 9, 2004 3:30-6:30 pm
 Morris Conference Center

3:30 Welcome by President Alan Donovan  Craven Lounge

3:35-4:30 Round Table Discussions

Ways to motivate and engage students in introductory classes (Harry Pence &
Jack Kotz) Room 103 Morris

Engaging students through technology (Hanfu Mi & Jim Greenberg) Room 105

4:30-5:30 Poster Sessions ­ ³Teaching Strategies that Work² Craven Lounge

5:30-6:30 Round Table Discussions Course experiences that challenge students
(Larry Guzy & Doug Shrader)

Room 103  Strategies and design tips for evaluating students (Dick Staley &
Steve Gilbert) Room 105

6:30 Closing remarks by Provost F. Daniel Larkin

6:35 Hearty Buffet Otsego Grill

IM:  oneontatltc