TB-L Archives

September 2004

Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 15:22:15 -0400
Students ask questions to understand material, to avoid being questioned
on materials they either haven't read or don't understand, to redirect a
lecture to what is to them a more interesting discussion, to make a
lecture more of a dialogue, and other reasons I'm sure exist but I'm not
thinking about.
First, speak to the student outside of class. Describe the problem
you're your perspective. Divide the problem into categories of problem:
asking inappropriate questions and asking too many questions. What
exactly is the student trying to accomplish by asking all these
questions?  Some techniques: ask students to write down questions and
keep a notebook to bring to office hours if they are not addressed in
class; ask students to hand in questions pertaining to the reading ahead
of class time so that instructor can consider including in lecture (if
that is the mode of instruction). Question student about how they
approach the reading assignments, how they understand material--for
example, if the student says they learn by talking about the concepts
with others, then suggesting that the student organize a study group
would be helpful.

Joanne M. Curran, Ph.D.
205A Fitzelle Hall
SUNY College at Oneonta