TB-L Archives

November 2004

From:
Jim Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:32:36 -0500
This posting is from Geoff Davis, forwarded to the list by Jim Greenberg

Let throw my two cents in here as a part-time adjunct (yes, I know that is a
redundant title) and parent of two college kids attending two different SUNY
schools.

First, as an adjunct, I need flexibility in my teaching schedule because I
am working other jobs off campus that also require my attention. The
inability to teach a Monday-Wednesday or Wednesday-Friday class that meets
for the hour and fifteen minutes each session has caused problems for me
from time-to-time. Because of this I have had to change my day class
schedule to
Tuesday and Thursday for the next two semesters. The result is that I am on
campus less and also makes it difficult for my students to make up classes
they miss due to illness or club/team activities.

My son attends Albany and my daughter is at Purchase. Albany is so large
that if there is a pattern of when classes are offered I haven't been able
to figure it out the past four years. What I do know is that my son has had
considerable flexibility in determining the days and times of when he is in
class.

At Purchase my daughter has not had classes on Friday the three semesters
she has been there. Her impression is that because most faculty and a
significant number of students commute through horrendous traffic that they
selected Friday as a no class or limited class day. Also, most of her
courses are four credits and meet at least two hours each session twice a
week.

If the figure of aboiut 40% of our faculty are adjunct, and therefore
part-time, is correct then that need also has to be taken into consideration
when looking at a class schedule. I vote for more flexibility.

Regards - Geoff Davis