TB-L Archives

November 2004

From:
Bill Proulx <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 11:05:06 -0500
TBers,

The issue of classroom utilization and scheduling was discussed at the
most recent Council of Chairs. Bill Grau was invited to the meeting and
he provided invaluable insights into the scheduling process.

It is apparent the utilization (and availability) of classroom resources
is driven by several factors.  The most influential seems to be
"faculty" and student preferences for the 10-2 time slots, especially
T-Th.  My guess would be that the preference for these times isn't
driven by teaching needs.  I believe Bill said that any class scheduled
before 10 and after 2 could pretty much choose the classroom they
wanted.  It was also pointed out that it is impossible to argue
(legitimately) for increased academic space when existing space is
significantly underutilized.

I would suggest that any discussion about class scheduling and classroom
assignments include Bill.

Bill

William R. Proulx, Ph.D., R.D.
Chair and Associate Professor