TB-L Archives

February 2005

From:
Bill Proulx <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:25:49 -0500
Rick,

I agree with Rick in part but find that his position, which is shared by many in academia, communicates more the "romanticism" of undergraduate education rather than the reality.  Taken to its logical end such a vision of the college experience is one where there would be no majors or departments but rather a free roaming educational experience for students who have no educational purpose but to fulfill their indescriminate intellectual appetites.  It is a nice vision but impractical, at least at a state college or university. There are many reasons why we can't raise "free-range" students but lack of resources and a lack of willing and interested students are probably the barriers.   Also, those of us who "train" students to go on to "careers" in professions that influence and impact the quality of life for others find a certain arrogance in the concept that "job training" is in some way a lesser purpose of the academy.  Actually, the opposite could be argued that it is the highly trained (physicians, engineers, teachers, scientists, nurses, dentists, agriculture, etc) who are ultimately of the greatest value to society compared the "intellectuals."  Personally, I would argue both are equally important to society.

Bill

Sincerely,

Dr. William R. Proulx, Ph.D., R.D.
Chair, Department of Human Ecology
Associate Professor of Nutrition and Dietetics
State University of New York College at Oneonta
Oneonta, New York, 13820
607-436-2147