TB-L Archives

February 2006

From:
Jim Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 12:48:09 -0500
Tbers,

This is a reminder that the first meeting of the Teaching Breakfast will be
tomorrow Feb. 2, at 8 am in Morris Hall.  The topic for this meeting has
changed (my jury duty status prevented me from being able to prepare what I
previously had planned).  We will be discussing , "Helping Faculty Cope With
Workload."

I suspect newer faculty might be apprehensive about doing things in their
courses that save them time for fear it may be perceived as diminishing the
experience in some way. This doesn't have to be the case.  Many of us have
found time savers without compromising our course. What are these things?

Think about the things you do (big or small) that help you cope with your
workload (not sleeping is not acceptable). For example, I tell my students
that I don't look at my email throughout the day (like some seem to expect.)
I tell them they should not expect responses from me throughout the day and
if they have an emergency that needs me to respond more quickly, they should
come to my office or call me.  It changes students expectations for email,
and saves me sometime.

Hope to see you tomorrow.

IM:  oneontatltc