TB-L Archives

March 2006

From:
Emily Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:01:25 -0500
I visited this website as well. Looks to me more like a "schedule of
class topics" than a syllabus. I think it would do more good to ask
students toward the end of the class (and during, of course), how this
or that factor of the syllabus could be improved. I do this regularly,
especially with newer courses or ones that I'm changing significantly
like making a hybrid format with use of Blackboard.

As stands this syllabus would never pass muster in our division. There
was no real way of explaining how to get a grade. A long and short
paper? What on earth is that in terms of quality and content?

There were numerous missing components. Guess I'm glad I wasn't put in
position of giving this professor feedback.

Lastly, although student input is good social practice, they don't
always know what's best for them or see the big picture or understand
how certain elements are key assessment data.

emily