TB-L Archives

March 2006

From:
Amy Crouse-Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:10:54 -0500
I think the issue is that there are skills that students need *now* that
would aid in their learning lives.  For example, a lot of profs are
asking students to do PowerPoint enhanced class presentations or to
create a website.  These skills can't wait until the students in the
working world.  And people shouldn't be afraid to give assignments that
incorporate technology, either.  I've seen some really exciting uses of
technology that can really enhance a student's ability to think
critically and make important connections.

For my part, when I required a skill such as PowerPoint, I gave over
some class time to demonstrate basics and met with students individually
as the need arose.  That usually sufficed to get them to a level of
proficiency high enough to do the assignment.  If I didn't do those
things, though, I couldn't have given the assignment (in good
conscience).

I was pleased to see, recently, that the TIPS program is doing some of
the training I did for my own students.  If I were still teaching the
class in which I required a PowerPoint presentation, I'd have students
who needed "training" in PowerPoint go to a TIPS class.  I wonder if
that program could be expanded to incorporate some of the other software
programs.

Just my two cents.

Amy

Amy Crouse-Powers