TB-L Archives

March 2006

From:
Janet Nepkie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 10:54:41 -0500
HI, Jim
You already know my feelings on the  need for my students to have skills
using additional software because I have been working with you for many
years in that effort.  I'll write you a brief response, however, for the
purpose of communicating with the list.

For years, my students have needed the ability to work comfortably with
Photoshop, Dreamweaver and to use HTML, just to name a few additional skills
beyond Microsoft Office.  My students also need the ability to send and
receive attachments containing images, graphics (including video) and sound
and to edit and otherwise manipulate the data in those attachments.  I do
not have the expertise, or even the basic knowledge, to teach these needed
skills so I have relied upon the goodwill of others to teach this software
to my students.  Whenever possible, we taught the skills in a "real-world"
assignment.

Amy mentioned the TIPS program.  I think it's quite wonderful to have
students help each other, but I also need faculty and staff to work with me
and my students in a teamwork effort with part of my class content.  Some of
our newer faculty have good software skills but this only solves part of the
problem.  I have required a base level of software proficiency for all Music
Industry students but I am convinced that the Music Department needs to
raise the level of required student proficiency and incorporate that higher
skill level into (1) classroom assignments and (2) crafting a student
project that the student can take WITH him when he graduates to show
prospective employers or grad schools what the student has accomplished.

I have just returned from another round of internship visits and it has
become clear, again, that my students need ADDITIONAL experience with this
software.  I've already reported that to Jim and I'd be glad to help with
any plan that will make more software and more training available to my
students.
Thanks
Janet

Dr. J. Nepkie