TB-L Archives

April 2006

From:
Jim Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:27:16 -0400
TBers,

I have heard talk now and then about colleges and universities extending
course offerings to High School students.  I have even heard talk of
developing an online curriculum at the SUNY Learning Network level and
offering it to "any New York State High School student."  I noticed in a
recent journal (see below) this is already being done in one shape and form
at Stanford.  Can anyone on this list tell me what the consensus is about
these types of programs?  Do they work?  Are the highly regarded?  What are
the issues surrounding them?  What do you think of the idea of extending the
SUNY Learning Network to include High School students?

Thanks.

STANFORD ANNOUNCES ONLINE HIGH SCHOOL FOR GIFTED YOUTH
Stanford University has announced that its existing Education Program
for Gifted Youth program will in the fall begin offering a full high
school curriculum and a diploma to students who complete it. Started in
1992, the Education Program for Gifted Youth currently offers online
courses to about 4,000 students between the ages of 4 and 18. The new
offerings will round out a high school curriculum and will establish
the program as the first online high school that targets gifted
students. Other institutions, such as the University of Miami and the
University of Texas, operate online high schools without a focus on
high-performing students. Stanford's new program will be open to
students in grades 10-12 who must apply for admission; demonstrate
excellent achievement after they are enrolled; and pay tuition for the
program, which is expected to be about $12,000 per year. Stanford said
it will offer financial assistance and will particularly look for
students from disadvantaged schools.
San Jose Mercury News, 12 April 2006
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/14325928.htm

IM:  oneontatltc