TB-L Archives

April 2006

From:
Janet Nepkie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:48:32 -0400
Hi, Jim and listmembers.
I like many of the  suggestions in this posting.  I've tried some of them,
for example, having students submit tests using only a code number, but the
extra time it takes me to convert code names to class names when I record
grades became a problem because of large numbers of students in my classes.
I have not given up my attendance requirements for class. I feel a
responsibility to be sure that all students learn a certain amount of
information during the semester.  If some students stay away from class and
DON'T learn that information, there's almost no way to fix that problem
prior to the end of the semester.

I saw another interesting list of teaching tips on an agenda of an upcoming
CIT workshop. I'd like to share that list here.

Be All You Can Be - Teach!

Instructor: Tara Gray, Director of the Teaching Academy
New Mexico State University
Rating:  Introductory
Room:  TBA
Cost:  $75.00

Every teacher should take specific, concrete steps to flourish in the
classroom; however,
these steps are not the same for everyone.  In this workshop, Tara Gray
presents her own
twelve steps based on twenty years of full-time teaching. Her steps include:

Content
Step 1 Answer the key questions of course design.
Step 2 Teach to one sentence every day.
Step 3 Limit lectures to 15 minutes.
Step 4 Let your readings share the lectern.

Students
Step 5 Hold students accountable daily.
Step 6 Push your students­but not overboard.
Step 7 Learn to love them.
Step 8 Take responsibility for your class.

You:  Sharpen Your Saw
Step 9 Use the first few minutes after class each day to write down the
changes you
 will make the next time you teach the dayıs material.
Step 10  Use mid-term evaluations to start a dialog with your class.
Step 11 Get yourself to ³class.²
Step 12 Write your own steps for teaching success.

Dr. J. Nepkie
Professor of Music
And Music Industry
Music Department