TB-L Archives

July 2006

From:
"Michael H. Siegel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:03:08 -0400
Hi Jim,

I hope that your summer is going nicely and you are having a chance to
store up some sunshine and do some recreational (non-computer) stuff.

I am appending a brief part of a discussion held recently on the POD
listserv.  As you will see they were concerned with rewards for hard
working faculty.  What they say, of course, is worth reading, but I want
to draw your attention to the fact that SUNY Cortland has a Faculty
Development Center.  As you know, I have always been an advocate of
this.  So many other colleges and universities are making use of this
sort of center and I know from contact with many colleagues, that it is
an enormous help both to faculty and to administration.  I hope that one
can be established on the Oneonta campus.

Mike Siegel

-------------------

Hello, All-
Indeed, reward systems for faculty can be viewed as infantilizing. If
money was the motivator for these folks, certainly none of them would
have entered the faculty side of higher education; I can think of about
six dozen more lucrative positions, can't you? Course reductions, time
off in support of research, and opportunities for scholarly growth are
the most appreciated. Though having said that, I've never known a
faculty member who would turn down funds for either a personal or a
departmental library budget!

Laura

Dr. Laura Gathagan
Director, Faculty Development Center
State University of New York at Cortland
P.O. Box 2000
Cortland, NY 13045
607-753-2088