TB-L Archives

October 2006

From:
Jim Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:56:52 -0400
Tbers,

I've asked the Educational Technology Committee (ETC) to take a look at the
issue of "clickers" on campus. These Personal Response Systems (PRS) allow
students to press a button on a remote in response to a question posed in
class. The answers are quickly gathered and summarized by the faculty
members computer in the front of the room and used to guide the class. A
good book on these devices and how they are used in post secondary science
is "Clickers in the Classroom" by Douglas Duncan, Publisher: Benjamin
Cummings, Copyright: 2005, ISBN-10:0805387285, ISBN-13:9780805387285.  A
copy of this is available in the TLTC if you want to look it over.

As these devices make their way onto campus, it is important that we
standardize on them if possible.   We want our students to be able to buy
just one "clicker" and have it work in any of their classes. We want them to
be able to sell them back to the bookstore and have the bookstore sell them,
etc.

A representative from one of the more popular systems, Interwrite, will be
in the TLTC on Oct. 16 from 1:30 to about 3:30 showing off one of these
systems.  If you are interested please stop by and take a look at them.
Your feedback to the ETC would be helpful.  Thanks.

IM:  oneontatltc