TB-L Archives

December 2006

From:
Jim Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 08:30:36 -0500
Tbers,

This is a reminder that the TB will meet tomorrow at 8 am in Morris Hall.
The topic for discussion will be:

"What if Student's Learn Better in a Course They Don't Like?

When I first came to the College back in 1975 as a student I was introduced
to SEFI (Student Evaluation of Faculty Instruction).  Later as a programmer
in the Computer Center I was the point of contact on the "conversion" of
SEFI to SPI (Student Perception of Instruction).  The process made me keenly
aware of the many issues surrounding assessment of courses and asking for
student input.  Something always nagged me about this process - and that was
an undergraduate experience I had with a Statistics course.  I HATED the
course.  At the time it was the worst course I ever took here and I said so
on the SEFI. You know where this is going...  as it turned out of course,
this Stat course was the one I have used more of in my life than any other
course I can think of.  So it got me thinking about the question, what if
student's learn better in a course they don't like?

When this topic came up in an AAHEG list I was particularly interested in
it.  See http://www.tltgroup.org/studentcourseeval/BusTestvOtherTest.htm for
more. For tomorrow, think about:

How do you get students through material that is difficult, or they don't
like that you know is necessary?  Does learning have to be fun?  What
techniques do you use to motivate students in cases where you know it is
just plain hard work?

Hope to see you all tomorrow for what I hope is a lively discussion.

blog: The 32nd Square at http://aristotle.oneonta.edu/37_the_32nd_square
IM:  oneontatltc