TB-L Archives

March 2007

From:
Jim Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:44:51 -0400
Tbers,

My apologies for missing the last meeting.  I thought many of you
would find the MIT OpenCourseWare project interesting.  Here is a
ditty from The Chronicle's web site recently forwarded to me.  The
OpenCourseWare project basically made the content of ALL of MIT's
courses available on the web for free.

> March 12, 2007MIT's OpenCourseWare Project Nears Completion
> When the Massachusetts Institute of Technology announced the
> formation of its OpenCourseWare project (The Chronicle, April 20,
> 2001), the plan struck some observers as far-fetched: Putting
> online the instructional material for nearly 2,000 college courses
> isn’t exactly a simple task.
>
> Nearly six years later, though, MIT has lived up to its lofty
> aspirations. Campus officials have told the Associated Press that
> the university will have digitized and posted material for all of
> its courses by the end of the year. (Currently, the institution has
> posted resources from more than 1,400 classes.) When they started
> the project, MIT administrators predicted that they would need
> about 10 years to complete it, so this could be the rare
> institutional endeavor that meets its goal well ahead of schedule.
>
> Of course, the OpenCourseWare program may never really be finished
> in the traditional sense: New courses will pop up, syllabi will
> change, and new distribution methods will render others obsolete.
> But the announcement still marks a milestone, especially for other
> institutions — including the University of Notre Dame, the
> University of California at Irvine, and Utah State University —
> that have followed MIT’s lead and started making their own course
> material available free online. —Brock Read

Jim Greenberg