TB-L Archives

May 2008

From:
Jim Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 08:11:10 -0400
Tbers,

Thanks for another great year in the Teaching Breakfast.  I continue to feel
incredibly fortunate to be part of this group.  Our final discussion was
about international education.  Here are my notes from this discussion.

Jim Greenberg made a short pitch for the new SUNY COIL (Center for Online
International Learning). Faculty interested in adding an international
component to their course(s) using technology should consider this model.
See http://coilcenter.purchase.edu or contact Jim G. at x2701 for more
information.

It was noted that we currently have 116 students at SUNY Oneonta from
outside the United States.

Numerous observations, concerns and hopes were raised with respect to
international education here at SUNY Oneonta.  In no particular order some
of these were:

    - out of state vs. in state tuition issues might be looked at as a way
of encouraging more students from abroad.

    - fit has been a problem with international student retention.  Many get
here and find, for various reasons, they don't fit and leave.

    - currently the Director of International Ed position is vacant and
being searched... so there is no recruiting going on... but there has been
recruiting in the past

    - not much is done for our international students when they do get here.
For example, where do they go when our traditional students go on break?
There is a lack of help with visa paper work.  There are no scholarships for
them.

    - questions were asked about our diversity initiative on campus and
wouldn't bringing more international students in, and supporting them when
they are here made sense in light of this initiative?

    -  it was pointed out that we have many faculty with overseas
connections and we should look into taking better advantage of this.

    -  we are very low in SUNY rankings w/ our international student
programs and with support of faculty to study abroad.  More resources ($)
are needed.  Given the looming fiscal climate a feeling of futility seemed
to hover like a cloud over the discussion (just making sure you've read down
this far...)

    - the group felt that a good first step would be to try and increase our
international students SOME and be more careful with making sure it is a fit
when we do bring them.

    -  programs we might put in place to help international students would
also help many of our traditional students.

The Teaching Breakfast Group will convene again next fall.  Look for an
email on the dates and times in late summer.  Until then, be well and do
good work.

blog: The 32nd Square at http://aristotle.oneonta.edu/37_the_32nd_square
IM:  oneontatltc