TB-L Archives

January 2009

From:
Janet Nepkie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 14:43:14 -0500
Jim, Terry et al.
Terry's idea about discussing note-taking is a good idea. I'd like to propose another idea, too.

I've just finished Chris Anderson's update of his book "The Long Tail," which is all about how niche marketing to MANY people earns a larger profit than marketing "hits" to fewer people, providing the delivery system for the sale of products is free or nearly free.

The book made me wonder about niche teaching, (if you understand what I'm trying to say).
How can we teach a large body of knowledge but deliver it in ways that are relevant to each individual?
We might use technology for part of that task, or smaller groups of students, but one thing we CAN'T is add more hours to the teacher's load. That won't actually help students.

If I've made a clear statement and question, does anyone have any thought or answers?

Thanks
Janet