TB-L Archives

April 2009

From:
Janet Nepkie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:06:39 -0400
HEllo, Colleagues,
I've been away from campus for a couple of days so have returned to find this interesting exchange of email about civility.
As is often the case, I find much to admire in the expressed thoughts of my colleagues.

First, please allow me to join the praise of Amy's solution to bad student behavior.

Second, let me thank Achim for raising the issue of occasional problems between faculty. They are not the norm at SUNY Oneonta, but they certainly exist, and they are often detrimental to our students.
The problems that Achim and others have described deal with unfortunate verbal or written exchanges between faculty.  Even more harmful, I believe, are discussions or accusations about faculty that are NOT face to face (or keyboard to keyboard) since this indirect type of attack leaves no chance for rebuttal, or, when necessary, apology.

Last week, I  was among those fortunate people who heard Roger Sullivan's "Last Lecture" in Hunt Union.  I was deeply moved by the description of kindness and achievement that he gave about many of our faculty and staff colleagues.  At the end of his lecture, he distributed several wristbands with the motto "Pay It Forward."  Some of you may recall this was the message from a movie in which a boy devised a plan to pass along acts of kindness.  I have several of those wristbands in my office and will be happy to give one to anyone who would like to help this effort grow on our campus.
Thanks
Janet

Dr. J. Nepkie
SUNY Distinguished Service Professor
Professor of Music and Music Industry
Music Department
State University of New York College at Oneonta
Oneonta, New York 13820
Ph. (607) 436 3425
Fax 607 436 2718