TB-L Archives

May 2010

From:
"Koeddermann, Achim ([log in to unmask])" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2010 14:40:16 -0400
Dear Jim, dear all,\

after the last teaching breakfast discussion -- which I saw veiled in own ignorance, as I had fallen on my head, good for mysticism, but bad for critical thinking:
Don't we all teach outside of at least one expertiese, which is the technological one you help us handle so well: From twitter on, most of us are ignorant, and it is not bliss...
I feel that my students know more here (how/why/when/why not) and I can facilitate a discussion in class, precisely because I know to know nothing: I brought you in as "yeast" and knowledgebase from authority. However, the discussion left where we are now, and showed potential future ways. Great, but only possible if instructor admits to know little... and dares bringing experts in, in this case Harry Pence and you, Jim.
This leads me to a wider question: isn't our knowledge of content increasingly outdated faster, as our students might, via wikipedia and alike, know potnetially more than we do? Given the debate on what should be learned in the last century, don't our students have "all of the options" when they surf the net outside of class? It will become increasingly difficult to block such media in the classroom, as they become part of our student's nromal life and environment. Is it truly justified to block such invasion just because we feel the competition?

I think, personally, that we have to move more in the direction of guide, away from knowing more, to teaching how to a)get and b)process to c)integrate such knowledge. I see us becoming more of a "Vergil" in Dante's hell: a guide who can independently of his outdated knowledge help find the way, assist in navigation. The problem for us is, however, the testing, as this will lead different people in different directions. If a topic such as sustainability should be discussed, the nature of our disciplinary training does not allow us to know more than our field, let's say energy consumption - but there are so many other aspects of sustainability which we block out if we only stay with what we know. The interdisciplinary nature of our work will need new approaches to those contents we know to be important, and do not know enough about.

We live more socratically thank we normally admit - the new motto should be "Dare to Admit that sometimes, you know nothing, or little..."

Achim