TB-L Archives

January 2011

Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:54:04 -0500
To Harry and the group,
What a degree means, and particularly what a liberal education means is always a topic that grabs my attention.  The best statement about a liberal education that I have read on this topic is an essay by William Cronon entitled 'Only Connect. .  The Values of a Liberal Education'. (American Scholar, Autumn98, Vol. 67 Issue 4, p73) In that essay he focuses less on the details of curricular debates and more on the ideal qualities and characteristics of a person who has undergone a liberal education. Perhaps others might find it inspirational as well.

Jim Mills