TB-L Archives

February 2011

Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2011 10:11:46 -0800
All interested parties,
  Can students evaluate other student's performances like team oral reports?
The Faculty Handbook, which I know may not have any/full force of
law/policy, says:
"Students and Grading
Students (including work study students, teaching assistants, etc.) must not
be permitted to participate in any form of grading. This includes, but is
not limited to, evaluating and/or assigning grades, posting grades, handling
grade change forms or grade sheets." p. 75
I have lab teams fill out a rubric evaluating other teams' reports and use
them with my own to arrive at a grade for each student. I feel this is a
valid and useful experience for all of them, but particularly for education
majors. How do prospective teachers learn to evaluate their students without
training and practice in education courses? Am I missing something? Seems
like a catch 22, if the FH is taken literally.
Cheers!
Terry