TB-L Archives

February 2011

Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:52:12 -0500
I am in total agreement with Joanne.  Teachers have the responsibility and
authority to give grades.  Students may evaluate the work of other
students, and we may judge them on their ability to evaluate, but only
teachers should make evaluations that lead to grades.

Example:  A small group of my students must post questions each week about
ethical practices of the music and entertainment industry.  The rest of
the students are required to answer the question based on criteria I've
established, and then the original group is required to evaluate the
answers received.  I often comment to students on their success or lack of
success at each step of this assignment, and I give the final grade for
the entire exercise.

Thanks,
Janet

Dr. J. Nepkie