TB-L Archives

April 2011

From:
"Fleisher, P. Jay ([log in to unmask])" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2011 09:14:47 -0400
Jimmy,
Being one who is still firmly grounded in the value of personal interaction (people speaking to people while in the same place, at the same time), I accept the potential for electronic learning, but regret the loss of communication that comes with eye contact.  Is there such a thing as an electronic mentor?  Geo-scientists are now developing the technology to conduct virtual field trips.  I say great, as long as it doesn't reduce the frequency of "actual" field trips.  Think back - can you still smell the dust and mule urine on the Bright Angel Trail.  The Grand Canyon is grand only to those who have experienced it first hand.  Anything else may be good (even very good), but not grand.

We are the sum total of our experiences.  Diminish those and you limit the person.  My daughter Sarah once said to me (1992), "just because you can, Dad, doesn't mean you should".  I suppose that today she could have sent that message by email, but it was the eye contact that drove it home.  There is a world of difference between information and communication.
Jay