TB-L Archives

November 2011

From:
"Jagels, Fredric ([log in to unmask])" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2011 11:37:34 -0500
Harry,

Great start.  Perhaps one way to encourage  the conversation rather than the "search-for-what-supports-my-particular-pre-conceived view", is fewer assignments that encourage either-or thinking.  Arizona immigration law, abortion, capital punishment, hydro-fraking etc etc ad nausiam  Many assignments I see students researching require a stance; surely a noble thought and worthy goal but that approach seems to preclude real open-mindedness and fearless research.  Add to that the fact that, as one article linked in your article points out, scholarly sources are virtually indecipherable to most freshmen (http://meredith.wolfwater.com/wordpress/2011/10/27/i-need-three-peer-reviewed-articles-or-the-freshman-research-paper/) ,  true inquiry is doomed.

I have also observed, that many students tend to construct a final thesis before doing ANY research- often at a professor's insistence that they submit a thesis before beginning a paper.  I envy the sciences approach of hypothesis, which at least allows a "successful:" inquiry even if disproven (not proven?)  There is a book severl professors use, the title of which alone is a great paradigm: They Say...I Say.

I work one-on-one with many students and try to be an honest broker of the other side, or more accurately, the stance that there are many sides: a conversation with the topic if you will.

Rick