TB-L Archives

March 2012

From:
"Greenberg, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:49:14 -0400
TBers,

Learning Analytics (LA) is becoming popular in Higher Ed.  The Sunday NYT recently had an article in it entitled "Big Data" (You can find it with a Google Search) and the Chronicle of HE also had an article about LA in it.  Faculty researchers at both the University of Mich. and Purdue have both recently published on their efforts to mine these data spaces and find students potentially at risk.   Computer systems that all our students use (mobile devices, laptops, computer labs, etc.) all connect to various networks and services that the College owns and operates.  How much of this use is useful to look at if you want to help students?  What are the privacy issues?  What would your intervention look like if you did identify students at risk?  I am preparing a presentation to the College Senate on this issue and would like to know what faculty think.

We all know Google, Amazon, Facebook, and others are tracking our usage of their systems in ways that are increasingly sophisticated.  Colleges and universities around the world are beginning to explore the benefits of doing the same. This is a very important conversation that I think we all need to be part of.  Computer systems can do it, and universities are starting to do it.

This year's keynote speaker at SUNY CIT is George Siemens, a well know voice in this space.  It speaks volumes to me that he was picked as the keynote at SUNY's premiere technology and teaching conference.  http://net.educause.edu/content.asp?SECTION_ID=577&bhcp=1

I have heard rumor that FACT (Faculty Access to Computer Technology)  will soon be putting together a LA Task Force for SUNY.

For an Intro on LA see:

http://www.educause.edu/Resources/LearningAnalyticsTheComingThir/227287

Thoughts?

Jim Greenberg