TB-L Archives

March 2012

From:
"Pence, Harry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 08:13:21 -0400
Dear Friends,

Fortunately, I never had a problem this bad when I was teaching*, but I wonder what resources and training SUCO provides to support a faculty member who does encounter this type of problem.

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/03/26/how-should-faculty-deal-classroom-disruptors

According to the article:
>At the University of Maryland at College Park, the chair of the Behavior Evolution and Threat Assessment >team sends out a note to faculty and staff members each semester that advises them on resources available at >the university should they encounter verbal aggression, threats of violence or someone with a psychiatric >problem.

Do we have a similar program to lead faculty to available resources?

Harry

*P.S.  My question is not totally theoretical.  I ask because during my career I can think of at least two students who physically threatened me and/or my colleagues.  Fortunately, one of the students never enrolled in my class and the other got so angry at me that he put his fist through a plate glass window, transferring the problem to the staff of the local hospital.

Harry E. Pence
SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor Emeritus
SUNY Oneonta