TB-L Archives

March 2012

From:
"Joest, Karen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:42:27 -0400
I hope that anyone who read my last posting will take the 10 min to read the article I sent along w/ my thoughts! If not, you really should.

There is a distinction to doing service, such as volunteering at a soup kitchen or being on committees, and community/civic engagement which takes enormous amounts of time and effort while providing necessary partnerships that can enhance student learning while also helping the community. Scholarship comes in many forms and varieties. For instance, I spent six weeks on a Fulbright Scholarship studying about workforce development and poverty in Post Apartheid South Africa. Did I publish anything from that? No, but the work that I did there was definitely scholarly. And, the video that I developed (not peer reviewed) has been seen by over 1000 people. That form of education and scholarship, not to mention the ongoing collaboarative work that I did w/ the State Department, The U.S. Embassy, and counselors and social workers in South Africa had a much deeper and far reaching impact than if I had published some articles in journals that very few outside of academia ever read. I am NOT discounting the vital importance of publishing, but again there are many forms of scholarship and we absolutely must move beyond the narrowed parameters of publish or perish mentality.

Karen S. Joest, Ph.D
Associate Professor, Child and Family Studies
Department of Human Ecology
State University of New York, College at Oneonta
607-436-2063