TB-L Archives

April 2012

From:
"Greenberg, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2012 07:24:21 -0400
Janet, (and TB)

Thanks for this article.  This is a legitimate question for campuses to be
asking themselves.  Over the years I have been asked to do as many as 45
guest lectures in any one semester.  Often these lectures are to infuse
some crucial aspect of CS from the perspective of the course.  I've done
everything from networking, security, programming, web design, basic
microcomputers, social networking, how to write API's for social
networking tools, XML, HTML, etc., etc.  The author makes a good point by
wondering if even one course would be enough.  CS has bifurcated on a
regular basis since its inception in the late 70's/early 80's.  What CS is
today is perhaps a dozen different disciplines.  Which CS should be
taught?

I for one think that what people are really asking is how to make students
productive in, and more aware of, the new cyber infrastructure emerging
from the Internet and the explosion of devices. A small, but growing
number of scholars in this area, refer to this as learning how to manage
your presence in cyberspace.  Gardner Campbell now at Virginia Tech is a
well known face in this group.  When I taught New Media for our
Communication's Dept.  I tried to do just this.  I could send a number of
papers and videos on this to you or the TB list if people were interested.

I've attached the Syllabus for this course and here is an outline of the
main topics.

Week 1: Exploration of New Media and the Conversation Prisim
Week 2: The Faustian Bargain in and Unanticipated Consequences of These
Technologies
Week 3: As We May Think  (how these technologies maybe changing the
fundamental ways we think and construct knowledge)
Week 4: Network Neutrality (How the Internet works and why we should care)
Week 5: Blogs, Wikis, and other Participatory Technologies
Week 6: Why the Facts No Longer Matter, or how these technologies amplify
the spectacle
Week 7-9: Cool Tools (here we spend two or three weeks looking at Internet
based tools) Including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Diigo,
Zotero, Foursquare, 4Chan, Google, Evernote, Skype, YouTube, Vimeo, Ning,
Grou.ps, etc.
Week 10: We look in depth at Twitter and consider what an API to it would
do and look like.
Week 11: Widgets, Gadgets, Nuggets and How Sites like iGoogle, Ning, and
others work
Week 12: Virtual Worlds
Week 13: Augmented Reality
Week 14: Mobile Technologie
Week 15: The future (Nanotechnology, wireless, etc.)

What would such a course look like for your majors?

Mr. James B. Greenberg
Director Teaching, Learning and Technology
Center

"Ignorance is curable,
stupidity lasts forever"