TB-L Archives

June 2012

From:
"Pence, Harry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2012 17:11:03 -0400
Dear Jay,
I understand your objection, but I think that it is less relevant when talking about Associate Professors.  The situation for nontenured faculty at research universities is, indeed, much different from that at smaller colleges.  Once having attained tenure, is the sitution that different at four year colleges vs. research universities?  When a survey shows that Associate Professors are unhappy across a broad spectrum of institutions, I suspect it is something more fundamental.  If you look at the data, there is a significant difference across almost every question.

Perhaps one or more of the current Associate Professors on this list might chime in regarding some of the special frustrations that they face now that they are tenured?

Harry

Harry E. Pence
SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor Emeritus
SUNY Oneonta