TB-L Archives

June 2012

From:
"Pence, Harry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2012 10:55:30 -0400
Dear Jay,
In general, I agree that teaching is a wonderful profession, although I think we were fortunate to go into the field at the best of times.  For example, I remember submitting just a one page letter for my tenure application., rather than the multiple binders of information required today.  Also, many of the PhDs graduating today will end up trapped as adjuncts for their entire career.  I can certainly understand their unhappiness.  Anyone who teaches today must accept the fact that at any given moment a student may be catching their behavior on video.  I know, you shouldn't be doing anything you would be embarrassed at, but we have all done some things in class that we wouldn't want the entire world to see on video.  Teachers always complain that students today are less responsive than they were in the past, but I seem to hear more complaints about this recently.  I think it is clear that the world of teaching today is much different from what it was when you and I began our careers.  Teching is not the only profession where this may be true.  I encounter many professionals outside of higher education who feel that the current time is less favorable than it was in the not too distant past.

The question I am asking is why Associate Professors should appear to be less happy than Assistant Profs.  The latter are under intense pressure to get grants, publish articles, and master the latest technologies so tht they can receive tenure.  Hopefully, this pressure from above would be less for Assoc. Profs.  When the survey results show the opposite of what is expected, it is natural to ask if there some change that is has occurred that is making Associate Profs less satisfied?   Bill Proulx seems to be suggesting that all is well, so perhaps I (or the survey) is incorrect.  I'm just curious about the academic world today.

Cordially,
Harry

Harry E. Pence
SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor Emeritus
SUNY Oneonta