TB-L Archives

February 2013

From:
"Fleisher, P. Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2013 18:22:35 -0500
The journey is as important as the destination - nothing new so far.  But, what happens to "education" when you substitute a teaching machine (online courses) for the real deal ( professor who conveys much more than just information, like eye-ball to eye-ball mentoring).  The outcome will be different - debate all you want with CEO leadership and the application of technology good at communications, but I know that I would not have been motivated for graduate school and the rewards it produced if it weren't for guidance by a human being.  Sure, colleges have to keep pace with the way the younger generation thinks and how they want to communicate, but show me a screen with a personality and I'll show you reality TV - nothing more.  The future of the American educational system rests with the human element, not the cost effective alternative.
Jay Fleisher
Emeritus DTP