	From: Greenberg, James
	Sent: Wed 2/26/2003 8:41 AM
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: Teaching w/ Research

	TBers,

	The posting below presents an interesting perspective on the
	continuing research versus teaching issue. It is from Alan Jenkins of
	the Westminster Institute Oxford Brookes University and the LTSN
	Generic Centre (UK). It draws on Jenkins A , Breen R , Lindsay R and
	Brew (2003) Reshaping Teaching in Higher Education : Linking Teaching
	and Research , London ,Kogan Page and distributed by Stylus in the
	USA. Reprinted with permission.

	                    BREAK AWAY FROM TEACHING VERSUS RESEARCH

	"I believe that the main hope for realizing a genuinely student
	centered undergraduate education lies in re re-engineering the
	teaching -research nexus." Paul Ramsden (2001,4) , Pro Vice
	Chancellor, Learning and Teaching, University of Sydney.

	In Scholarship Reconsidered Ernest Boyer (1990, X11) challenged US
	higher education to "break away out of the tired old teaching versus
	research debate." Since then  scholars and institutions world-wide
	have sought to reshape the potential connections between faculty
	research and student learning . In doing this they have developed our
	understanding of the research evidence; focused on issues of course
	design;  and started to reshape institutions in creative ways

	                        Developing Research Understanding

	At  face value much of the research evidence  questions whether there
	is a positive relationship between (faculty ) research and student
	learning. Much research has been statistical, examining mainly at the
	level of the individual academic research 'quality' and teaching
	'quality'.  In a meta analysis of this research, Hattie and Marsh
	(1996, 529) argued that "the common belief that teaching and research
	were inextricably intertwined is an enduring myth". However recent
	research, often using different research methodologies and focusing
	much more on the student experience, does argue for the importance of
	the teaching-research nexus. For example Baxter-Magolda (2001) sees
	involving students in research and research-like activities as
	supporting them in developing more sophisticated conceptions of
	knowledge . In a  study of an intensive undergraduate summer research
	programme (at the University of Oxford ,Ohio ), she concluded that
	students who took part in the  programme became more confident as
	learners and  more capable of thinking independently.. Baxter Magolda
	(1999, 9) sees such research as validating what she describes as
	"constructive development pedagogy SÝ(in which) teachers model the
	process of constructing knowledge in their disciplines, teach that
	process to students, and give students opportunities to practice and
	become proficient at it." Research  at Oxford Brookes and the
	University of East Anglia in the UK strongly reinforce the benefits
	students  obtain from research in including 'knowledge currency' and
	faculty credibility; but also demonstrate that too often courses and
	overall institutional structures do not support them in realizing
	these potential benefits. (Jenkins , Blackman ,Lindsay and
	Paton-Saltlzberg , 1998 ;Lindsay ,Breen and Jenkins , 2002,  and
	Zamorski 2002).

	This recent research moves the issue away from the focus on
	individual staff and whether the best researchers are the best
	teachers to reshaping teaching and research to better ensure they
	connect.

	                        Focus on  Course Design

	Consider this course from the geography department at University
	College London (UK) , in US terms a 'research one university'. In
	term one year one, all students in tutorial groups of about four
	interview a faculty member about their research .

	*Individual faculty tutorial groups give tutorial groups their CV and
	three pieces of writing which are representative of their research.

	*Before the interview students read these materials and develop an
	interview schedule, etc.

	*On the basis of their reading and the interview, each student
	individually writes a  report on a) the objectives of the
	interviewee's research; b) how that research relates to their earlier
	studies c) "how the interviewee's research relates to his or her
	teaching, other interests and geography as a whole".( Dwyer , 2001,
	366).

	Clearly the  context is particular , small class sizes and all staff
	involved in high level research .But aspects of it are relevant to
	all institutions; in particular that the nexus is not automatic and
	has to be designed into courses.

	Most of the many texts on course design totally ignore how to realize
	the nexus . Here is a model of course design from a student learning
	perspective that  supports faculty in realizing the nexus .
	Linking teaching and research is achieved when:

	*Students learn how research within their disciplines leads to
	knowledge creation.
	*Students are introduced to current research in their disciplines.
	*Students learn research methods
	*Students are motivated to learn through knowledge of and direct
	involvement in research.
	*Students carry out research.
	*Students participate in research conducted by their faculty  .
	*Students learn and are assessed by methods resembling research
	procedures in their discipline.
	*Students learn how research is organized and funded. ( Based on
	Jenkins ,Breen, Lindsay and Brew 2003).

	                        Departmental and Institutional Structures

	One of the  limitations of the correlation based research studies is
	that they seldom consider the  institutional structures in which
	faculty and students work . Much of the international moves to
	connect staff research and student learning has sought to reshape
	these structures to better ensure fruitful  connections . Many
	recognize the faculty are a 'mosaic of many talents'. To highlight
	some  initiatives:

	*US readers will be aware of the influential Boyer Commission (
	University of Stony Brook 1998, 3) and its clarion call that "The
	research universities have too often failed, and continue to fail,
	their undergraduate populations." Much of the reform movement that
	this report helped stimulate has focused on institutional policies
	with respect to undergraduate research , first year inquiry based
	courses and capstone  seminar,s etc. A recent study clearly
	demonstrates the "considerable headway that research universities
	have been making in recent years SÝ(but) that most efforts have been
	directed at the best students ; the challenge SÝis to reach a broader
	spectrum of students" (and institutions) . (Boyer Commission on
	Educating Undergraduates in the Research University, 2002, 2) . US
	organisations such as the Council on Undergraduate Research
	http://www.cur.org/ and the Conference for Undergraduate Research
	http://www.ncur.org/ do  invaluable work  outside the research elite
	. The Reinvention Center focuses support on research universities
	http://www.sunysb.edu/Reinventioncenter/

	*In Canada, institutions such as McMaster University with an
	institutional  focus on inquiry in year one and now upper level
	courses, and the University of British Columbia with a major redesign
	of the undergraduate curriculum are reshaping teaching to support the
	links .

	*In Australia a government sponsored research study revealed how
	three very different  institutions have sought to develop the nexus:
	the 'sandstone' research rich University of Western Australia , the
	more technology professional based Curtin University and the regional
	access focused Ballarat.  (Zubrick  ,Reid  and Rossiter  2001) .
	Sydney University has a strategic plan to bring teaching and research
	together,  and is experimenting with performance funding for
	departments to 'encourage' the link .

	*In the UK  there have been a range of  initiatives including the
	research on the student experience described above. See
	http://www.exchange.ac.uk/issue3.asp Many institutions are making
	awareness of the nexus and course design to deliver it a central
	component of the ( compulsory ) courses for new academics that are a
	significant part of the UK scene . The accrediting body for such
	courses, the Institute for Learning and Teaching is requiring
	established faculty  seeking accreditation to demonstrate how 'you
	draw on your subject research, scholarly activities or other
	professional activities in the support of teaching and learning.' At
	Oxford Brookes University  a major redesign of the undergraduate
	curriculum is requiring all courses to demonstrate how they link
	teaching and research.

	*National and international disciplinary associations can also play
	key roles in supporting the  nexus. UK national funding has initiated
	two such projects -the materials of which are available world wide:
	Project Link
	http://www.brookes.ac.uk/schools/planning/LTRC/index.html and Linking
	Teaching and Research in the Disciplines
	http://www.ltsn.ac.uk/genericcentre/index.asp?id=17221.

	*In New Zealand in 2000-2001 all universities were audited nationally
	for the extent to which they were  linking teaching and research
	.This stimulated much effort to achieve the nexus.

	                                Conclusion

	Internationally, faculty  and institutions are moving away from
	teaching versus research and succeeding to link them creatively. We
	have still much to learn as to how to effect these links . We often
	face  evident problems of under-funding, the failure of institutions
	worldwide to really value teaching, and the dominance of discovery
	research that is not connected to other university roles. But we have
	moved forward and our (potential ) students and society need our best
	efforts to build on this good work.