Teaching in a classroom with a computer on every desk, is certainly a challenge. The glowing monitor is like a warm fireplace on a Winters night. The display beckons them to stare and soon they are ensnared in its magnetic grip. If you have ever eaten at the local Applebee’s restaurant or Mamma Ninna’s Pizza, with T.V. Screens positioned over the shoulder of the person you are eating with, you find it very difficult to not look at the screen of moving images, no matter how much you hate hockey.
My biggest problem is not web surfing but Instant Messaging. It is very difficult to be standing in front of the class trying to give the best lecture possible, when half of the students are busy typing away, chatting with their friends. The most effective method I have for dealing with this problem is to turn on Apple Remote Desktop and leave it on the projector while I speak. It displays a list of all the computers in the room and what application is currently active on each one. Students have a tendency to leave a more appropriate application open on their computer rather than Instant Messenger or a web browser.

Sven Anderson
Computer Art
Apple Distinguished Educator
State University of New York, College at Oneonta
http://www.svenanderson.com
607-436-3174 Office
607-436-3482 Computer Art Lab
607-436-3717 Art Dept. Office

"Remember, there are 24 hours in the day, and then there is the night too!"