Attached to this email is a report on a Survey of High School Student
Engagement.  Thanks to Dick Staley and Joanne Curran for passing it to me. I
would like to get a discussion about this report going at a future TB (next
semester).  So please, if you get a chance, look it over and take a note or
two of what we can learn about our own students from this.  For example, I
hear faculty talk about our studentıs reading habits.  This report indicates
that 80% of High School students spend less than 3 hours per week reading.
Perhaps expecting them to read 5 or more hours per week is unrealistic given
their habits? (Did I really just write that!?)

As a reminder, the last TB of the semester is Dec. 1 at 8 am in Morris Hall.
The topic is Giving Exams Demonstrating Student Understanding.  For ideas on
how to do this see
http://teaching.berkeley.edu/compendium/sectionlists/sect22.html.  Bring
your good and bad exam ideas with you and share them with others.  Hope to
see you there.

Have a happy Thanksgiving break and in the spirit of acronyms remember this
holiday break, ³Truly you are the key.²

IM:  oneontatltc