I'm glad you mentioned the TIPs program, Amy. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, the TIPS program (Technology Instruction Program for Students) is being developed to help students use technology. It relies on a variety of venues, from one-on-one or small group sessions done at the TIPs desk in the second floor Milne Library Lab or workshops in the new technology training room on the third floor of Milne Library, or through classroom lectures at the request of instructors. The idea is that faculty can make assignments that require the use of technology applications knowing that help for the students is available.  Raphael Web is the person to contact for more information. In this beginning stage (the program has been in existence for less than a year) we are focusing on Microsoft Office applications, but we would like to expand to cover other software.

The model for this program comes from George Mason University which has several different programs, some that specialize in multimedia creation, and some that focus on office productivity software, for example. Like the George Mason program, we are using student employees to do much of the one-on-one help through our TIPs desk in the Milne Library Lab.

We have been talking about an exciting next stage for this program, which would provide help for students making presentations. This would involve creating a new lab in the library that would provide equipment such as digital video editing stations and large format printing and help for students making multimedia presentations. We also would like to have a presentation rehearsal room where students could practice presentations which are videotaped for later viewing from any computer through a streaming video server. Georgia Tech's multimedia presentation lab is one model for this kind of room.

There are certainly lots of ways students learn about technology, and I envision the TIPs program as being one tool in our toolkit, along with others such as the mini courses Sven mentioned might be developed.

By the way, the TIPs program is mostly funded through the student technology fee. We would welcome ideas and suggestions as we develop this new program.

Janet Potter

Associate Provost for Library & Information Services

SUNY College at Oneonta

Oneonta, N.Y.     13820