Good morning -- This article and accompanying "report" are interesting to me as I publish a general chemistry textbook used fairly widely both in the U.S. and abroad. (The 6th edition was published by Thomson Learning last year, and the 7th -- with significant changes -- will be out in January 2008.) There is a great deal of misunderstanding of the issue of textbook publishing practices and costs, in spite of the effort of various PIRGs. I would be happy to discuss this with a group of interested faculty. However, for now I would note that faculty have a responsibility to talk with publisher representatives to acquire the best textbook and accompanying print and online materials at the best price. There is price flexibility, and field reps are always glad to discuss the matter.

John Kotz