Untitled Document

TBers,

Given the interest in international education opportunities at a past Teaching Breakfast and recent discussions about this with Dr. K,  I thought faculty might be interested in the SUNY COIL Center’s recently announced conference. (See below)   I encourage you to look more closely at this model for opportunities to add an international learning component to your courses.

Jim G.

From: <CoilCenter> [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 3:25 PM
To: <CoilCenter>
Subject: COIL CENTER Conference November 14, 2008

Friday November 14, 2008
COIL Center Conference:
Collaborations in Online International Learning Environments -
How to Make them Work!

The SUNY Coil Center invites you to our Second Annual Conference at Purchase College. Following last year's successful event, we have put together an even more ambitious one-day conference for this fall that focuses on the implementation of online international collaborations.

We've scheduled three morning plenary sessions and six afternoon workshop/breakout sessions, giving participants the opportunity to hear from practitioners and engage in activities and discussions around issues central to successful online international collaborations.

Plenary session presenters include Dr. Doreen Starke-Meyerring, McGill University, Sarah Guth, University of Padua, Italy, and Dr. Bryan Carter, University of Central Missouri (teleporting from Paris via Second Life).

Break-Out sessions will focus on such issues as:

  • locating and developing international course partners
  • cross-cultural issues in the online classroom
  • an intro to Distance Learning for those who have never taught online
  • determining a course model best suited to your campus and discipline .... and more

Facilitators for these sessions represent seven different SUNY campuses who have joined together for this event.

Please visit the COIL Center Conference Website for the full conference schedule, topics, and list of facilitators.
You can also copy and paste this URL in your browser: http://coilcenter.purchase.edu

Conference costs are as follows and must be paid by check and sent by mail (check the website for payment details including our special $99 rate at the Armonk LaQuinta Inn for those of you wishing to spend the night):

SUNY: - - - - - - - - - $50

Non-SUNY: - - - - - - $100

Purchase College: - - $0 (first 15 registrants only - all others pay SUNY rate)

After October 17: - - $25 late fee

We look forward to seeing you at the conference on November 14th. Mark your calendars!

The COIL Team.

(Do not reply to this email. If you have questions regarding the conference go to the web site or write to: [log in to unmask])