Janet, et al.

Brown and Adler did a piece on this topic back in Feb. of 2008.  See:

http://connect.educause.edu/Library/EDUCAUSE+Review/MindsonFireOpenEducation
t/45823?time=1233090464

About 2/3 of the way through is the part on the long tail of learning, or
the rise in niche learning.   This piece is a bit lengthy, but important to
people in my position.

blog: The 32nd Square at http://32ndsquare.blogspot.com
wiki: The 32nd Square at http://32ndsquare.wikidot.com
IM:  oneontatltc

P Think before you print! Please consider the environment before printing
this email