Hi, Jim et al...

I've taught a completely online course for SUNY Albany for five years or
so.  Before I started teaching there, I heard horror stories of how
online classes would devolve into verbal brawls.  (Actually, one of my
professors there, who is now a dean, came to class one evening near
tears over the behavior in his discussion boards.)

In a bid to head that problem off at the pass, I instituted a discussion
during the first week of my class in which we discuss how we will treat
one another. Asking them to have that discussion annoys a couple of
students at first, but once they engage in it, they realize that they're
dealing with real human beings on the other end of the Internet who have
real emotions, real fears, and real goals that are tied up in their
learning in this course.  Many of them thank me for having the
conversation.

From their discussion, I draw up a "Norms Document" to which I ask them
to add, discuss further, or agree.  They always agree.  And the document
is always pretty much the same.  I have only seen one - very mild -
argument in my course. In that case, I stepped in and said, "Hey -
remember - we're civil here. Please refer to the Norms Document."  The
women promptly apologized to one another and the argument ceased.

Amy