How to Form Groups?

I’ve also used jigsaw for groups and I agree with Amy that it works well. All of the literature on cooperative learning would be helpful as well. In short, this advises you to assign distinct responsibilities for each person in a group, and then assess each area for a total group. I give individual and group grades so that the members of the group are expected to deal with each other, work together, and also do their own personal  best.  Check out http://www.nea.org/tools/32842.htm Joanne

From: Teaching Breakfast List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Amy Crouse-Powers
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: How to Form Groups?

Jim,

I always try to use a “jigsaw” model for group work.  The idea with the jigsaw is that every person in the group is responsible for one part of the puzzle.  Each person has to become an “expert” on one area.  When you put them all together, they’ve each dug deeply into their part of the topic and their parts together make a coherent presentation.  I quickly googled and found this site that will explain the idea: http://www.jigsaw.org/overview.htm.

Amy